1. What is Platelet Rich Plasma?
Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is an advanced skincare treatment method that uses your own blood, also known as vampire facial. Your blood is made up of red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma and platelets.
Plasma is a component of your blood that contains special protein that helps your blood to clot. This protein also supports the cell’s growth. When the platelets in the plasma are concentrated, magic happens. The main idea of injecting the PRP into damaged tissue is, it helps to stimulate your body to grow new and healthy cells and also promotes faster healing.
PRP can be made more potent by mixing it with other treatments such as mesotherapy. Mesotherapy or we call it “Meso” is a powerful anti – aging non surgical treatment that includes an injection just below your skin with a hyaluronic acid cocktail of vitamins. It involves several injections on the face that offer several benefits including glowing and radiance – boosting and hydration.
It is a trendy and well known treatment. It is not just the face, it can be injected into the neck and scalp to stimulate hair growth too. The combination of PRP and mesotherapy is one of the safest and effective options. As mesotherapy contains hyaluronic acid, it gives the skin a plumping effect, which is immediate, and mixed with the PRP; the whole texture of the skin will be improved and significantly reduce dark circles.
2. What are the components of PRP in detail?
Here are the list the growth factors associated with PRP
1)Insulin-Like Growth Factor (IGF)
-A regulator of normal physiology in nearly every type of cell in the body
2) Transforming Growth-Factor-Beta (TGF-b)
-Promotes the growth of matrix between cells, bone metabolism
3)Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
–Promotes blood vessel growth, cell replication, skin formation
4) Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)
-Promotes cell growth and differentiation, blood vessel formation, collagen formation
5) Fibroblast Growth Factor-2 (FGF-2)
-Promotes the growth of specialized cells and blood vessel formation
6) Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)
-Promotes the formation of blood vessels
3. What are the benefits of PRP ?
a) Fight wrinkles and fine lines
One of the best benefits of this treatment is it drastically decreases the signs of wrinkles and fine lines. As a result, you will get a youthful appearance instantly without doing any cosmetic surgery.
b) Enhances skin volume
PRP injection will promote the natural production of collagen in the targeted area. This collagen helps restore the lost volume from your face, which makes your skin look more youthful.
c) Complete skin rejuvenation
PRP injection helps tightening and thickening the skin to smoothen the fine lines and wrinkles. Since this treatment focuses on collagen production,it is an effective treatment for enhancing the overall tone and skin texture. Thus, this injection is particularly good for individuals suffering from acne or rosacea.
Based on a study by Aghaei in 2017, use of PRP injection can enhance the production of collagen. This treatment showed that it is able to increase the level of dermal collagen by growth factor and by skin needling even with a single application. Thus, it is effective for overall skin rejuvenation. (1)
d) Radiant and natural skin look
This treatment can help you achieve a natural radiant look since PRP is integrated from your own blood. It is spread smoothly and evenly across the face and does not look overdone. As we know, natural look cannot alway be achieved through facial surgery, that is why more and more individuals come to Klinik Hana to try this treatment and get natural glow instantly!.
e) Treat hyperpigmentation
A condition known as hyperpigmentation causes your skin to appear blotchy or discolored as a result of an overproduction of melanin. Microneedling with platelet-rich plasma can treat hyperpigmentation problems by making microscopic holes in the skin that encourage the formation of collagen. Platelet-rich plasma, on the other hand, can treat problems like scar hyperpigmentation, melasma, or sun spots, ensuring that your skin is clear and attractive throughout the year.
f) Diminish acne scars
Between the ages of 18 and 30, acne affects a lot of people. Consider getting PRP injections to treat acne scars if you want to lessen the harm caused by acne. These injections have a high concentration of platelets, growth factors, stem cells, and other substances that start the process of neocollagenesis, or the production of new collagen. Dermatologists can lessen skin depressions and promote the growth of new collagen by injecting the PRP serum behind the scars.
g) Treats hard to reach and delicate areas
The PPR treatment is beneficial for areas where even a laser cannot be used for example the delicate skin underneath the eyes. These are the areas that you need to treat as the signs of aging start emerging and more prominent.
h) Suitable for all body parts
- Hair loss: This has been proved in study by Paichit Rojjana, PRP injection into the scalp helps to promote hair growth and prevent hair loss. This study also showed that PRP injections are effective in treating androgenic alopecia which is also known as male pattern baldness (3)
- Tendon injuries: Tendons are tough, thick bands of tissue that connect muscle to bone. They are usually slow to heal after injury. PRP injections are used to treat chronic tendon problems, such as tennis elbow, Achilles tendonitis at the ankle, and jumper’s knee, which causes pain in the patellar tendon in the knee.
- Post Surgical repair: Occasionally, medical doctors use PRP injection after surgery to repair a torn tendon or ligaments. Osteoarthritis: This is proved by a study conducted by Raeissadat et al. in 2015. The study found that PRP injections were more effective than hyaluronic acid (a traditional therapy) for treating osteoarthritis. (2)
4. Who can have PRP treatment?
While PRP is considered safe for most people, it is not recommended for anyone who has one of the following medical conditions.
- Hepatitis C
- HIV or AIDS
- Skin cancer in the area to be treated
- Any type of blood cancer
- Cardiovascular disease, which requires taking a blood thinner
5. How long till the PRP + mesotherapy results appear?
The results are noticed quite quickly after the treatment especially for the face, the results are immediate, whereas for the hair, it will take a few weeks as you will need to give some time to the scalp.
6. How many times do I have to have the PRP + mesotherapy procedure done?
PRP + mesotherapy should be maintained over time to enjoy the benefits of the results. Typically, it’s advised to have 2 to 3 treatments initially and then have one every six months for maintenance.
7. Is the PRP + mesotherapy procedure hurt?
It is a well tolerated procedure. You may experience some discomfort but you do not have to worry because prior to the treatment, the numbing cream will be applied. You also may experience some flakiness of the skin due to skin cell turnover. Because of the injection, mild bruises can appear especially on the very thin skin around the eyes. Redness and itchiness also could also be experienced. These will go away within a few days.
8. How effective is PRP + mesotherapy treatment?
These treatments are an essential tool to slow down the aging process, as they will boost collagen production and improve the look of wrinkles and fine lines. To see the effectiveness, it depends on your lifestyle. It will be ineffective if you are having an unhealthy lifestyle, such as smoking or drinking or having a bad diet and lacking sleep.
9. How is the PRP procedure done?
The treatment is very safe and non-invasive. On the day of the visit, our dermatologist will draw blood, then put it inside a special centrifuge to separate the PRP from the rest of the blood. After that, you will be given a topical anesthetic to make the procedure more comfortable. You will then receive the treatment on the face by tiny injections in this area so that collagen can be stimulated, and the rejuvenating process can start.
10. This treatment is related to blood. Is it safe?
This treatment involves your own blood. It may sound creepy right?. Don’t panic because our dermatologists at Klinik Hana are well experienced. They will remove your blood from the body without pain and keep it sterile to prevent infection. For your safety, the facility at Klinik Hana also follows the same process that transfusion centers use to make sure that your own blood is injected back into you.
11. What to avoid after having PRP + meso treatment done?
After the treatment, you should avoid exposure to the sunlight. It is crucial to be careful with sun exposure especially at the first 72 hours after the treatment because your skin will be very vulnerable. Thus, it is important for you to always wear sunscreen (SPF 50). It is also highly recommended to avoid smoking and alcohol for 72 hours as they suppress the healing. Lastly, use a gentle cleanser and lukewarm water to cleanse the face for the following 72 hours and do not forget to moisturize your skin too!
12. Why choose Klinik Hana for PRP + mesotherapy?
If you are thinking about trying PRP treatment, come and visit us at Klinik Hana. We are well known for our clinic and expertise in aesthetics. We love to look after our patients even after the procedures, and we are grateful for all positive feedback from our patients. If you want to know more about PRP procedure, feel free to contact us and leave a message. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
1) Aghaei, S. Platelet-rich plasma in skin rejuvenation. J Surg Dermatol 2017; 2(2): 61–62; Link Here
2) Raeissadat, S.A., Rayegani, S.M., Hassanabadi, H., Fathi, M., Ghorbani, E., Babaee, M. & Azma, K. Knee Osteoarthritis Injection Choices: Platelet- Rich Plasma (PRP) Versus Hyaluronic Acid (A one-year randomized clinical trial). Clin Med Insights Arthritis Musculoskelet Disord. 2015 Jan 7;8:1-8 Link here
3) Paichit Rojjana, A. Platelet Rich Plasma and Its Use in Hair Regrowth: A Review. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2022;16:635-645. Link here
1 thought on “What IS PRP (PLATELET RICH PLASMA) & MESO PRP?”
Great read!!! Thanks for sharing such a great blog. Keep sharing such great blog.